Description of model’s processes
Given model simulates the work of the passenger terminal “A” of the Kiev international airport.
Managing of passenger flows in airport terminals is difficult logistic problem. Each passenger passes registration area, controls of Aviation Security, passport control, waiting area before reaching a plane. Inefficient management of passenger flows in a passenger terminal leads to big queues and flight delays, and it is not of economic benefit to airline companies, airports and it is not comfortable to passengers.
Simulation model makes it possible to predict passenger flows in dependence to different input parameters and to define optimal work conditions of passenger terminal.
Model’s input parameters:
- flight schedule;
- density allocation of input passenger flows;
- number of opened check-in desks (in advanced settings they can specify a number of check-in desks for each flight and their numbers)
- number of opened flows for checking Aviation Security (in advanced settings they can specify a schedule of work for each flow);
- number of opened desks for passport control;
- time spending while a passenger is being serviced for each staging point;
- time parameters of schedule (time for registration, time of beginning of boarding);
- statistics data of passenger flow (probability of repeated passing of Aviation Security control, of visiting “duty free”, of going to WC and so on).
Output from the model:
- density map of passenger flows;
- average value of the variable of queue in the process of registration on a flight, of checking of Aviation Security, of checking of passport control;
- average value of time passing by passenger in a queue in different staging points;
- allocation schedule of value of queue and of time passing by passenger in a queue;
- workload of airport (airline company’s) employees on the stage of registration on the flight, of checking of Aviation Security, of checking of passport control;
- results of comparative analysis (parallel run-through of the model with different parameters);
- results of optimizations (finding such parameters of the model, with which specified parameters of the model will be minimum or maximum values).
Thanks to flexibility of the model, it could be used as a base in the process of building adding models (for example, models of land based logistic systems, economic systems), and plus it is possible to expand a functionality of the existing model. It is needed to say that there is a possibility to integrate a model in existing information systems of airport.